There are several reasons your Lansing, IL dentist recommends tooth extraction. First, it may be that you have an impacted wisdom tooth threatening your oral health. Sometimes, your dentist talks to you about extraction before orthodontics or dentures.
However, if you have an extraction due to decay or trauma, we recommend tooth replacement like a dental implant to keep your bite intact and your smile healthy.
Post Tooth Extraction in Lansing, IL
Your aftercare instructions are related to the type of extraction you’ve had, and your dentist provides more customized recovery advice based on your specific case.
But in general, we recommend the following:
- Rest for at least a day or two following tooth extractions.
- Take any prescribed medications on schedule.
- Apply icepacks according to your dentist’s instructions.
- Use gauze for mild bleeding according to your dentist’s instructions.
- Do not smoke or drink through a straw for 24 hours to avoid complications.
- Do not eat or drink hot or cold foods and beverages (or chew) until the anesthesia wears off.
- If you rinse your mouth with warm saltwater, let the water drain from your mouth—don’t spit.
- Do not rinse your mouth the first day.
- Avoid exercising for up to 24 hours post-extraction.
- Please don’t touch the surgical site or brush it with your toothbrush.
- Gently pat the surgical area with gauze to keep it clean.
Of course, you should stick to a soft diet for a day or two following extractions. Your dentist will provide a more precise timeline for this.
Soft foods may include:
- Mashed potatoes
- Yogurt and pudding
- Creamy soups
- Warm cereal or oatmeal
For Dental Extractions Near Me, Contact Us
At Pallotto Dental Care, we offer gentle tooth extractions. So, if you have a broken or severely damaged tooth, we encourage you to reach out to our dental team to schedule an evaluation with our dentist today.